Internships @ SMoCA
The Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art [SMoCA] offers challenging and comprehensive internships for undergraduates, recent graduates and graduate students who are interested in museum and arts careers. SMoCA is an educational institution dedicated to presenting exhibitions of contemporary and modern art, architecture and design with a global focus. SMoCA’s internships are on a volunteer basis and can be coordinated with staff to aid in receiving academic credit.
The practical experience of an internship provides invaluable knowledge for those who wish to pursue a career in museums and the arts. Past SMoCA interns have been accepted into their first choice Master’s and Ph.D. programs (NYU, Columbia, Johns Hopkins), started their own arts businesses and have been hired as teachers. Many interns have gone on to intern at other museums, including the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. An internship at SMoCA provides opportunities to work on projects directed by museum staff and obtain a comprehensive knowledge of the museum practice (departments, programs and operations).
How to Apply
- Review the list of internships SMoCA offers. Please clearly state your area of interest in your application.
- Note: The following list of openings are indicative of the kinds of internships available; however, internships offered each semester are based upon the Museum’s need.
- Please provide:
- Two references (one academic and one professional—contact information only; no letters, please)
- Cover letter describing your interest in your preferred internship position.
- Complete the online application found here.
Late applicants will not be considered.
FALL Internships (August-December)
- Applications Open: May
- Application Deadline: July
SPRING Internships (January-May)
- Applications Open: November
- Application Deadline: December
SUMMER Internships (June-August/September)
- Applications Open: March
- Application Deadline: April
No internships available at this time; please check back during the upcoming semester.
Contact: Cassandra Buruato, Internship Coordinator at Cassandrab@scottsdalearts.org