What is a SMoCA Docent?
Docents are guides, interpreters, and all those volunteers who:
• connect visitors with a range
of age, ability, and backgrounds to the beautiful and challenging collections
and exhibitions in art museums
• encourage young audiences to explore and discover, think independently, consider multiple perspectives, and express themselves creatively.
A SMoCA docent is a volunteer trained to facilitate learning at the Museum through engaging the public in our galleries. Our docents have a passion for contemporary art, are lifelong learners, and enjoy sharing their knowledge with others. They come from a variety of backgrounds and are storytellers, educators, customer service experts, arts advocates, and museum lovers. Docents complete a two-month “boot camp” training and commit to volunteering for at least two years (though many stay much longer).
Perks of Being a Docent
• In-depth training program on contemporary practices of art, museums,
and museum education.
• Ongoing training opportunities, including exclusive tours with artists, curators, and other subject matter experts.
• The joy of sharing your love of contemporary art with children, students, families, teachers, and visitors to SMoCA.
• Lifelong friendship with other docents.
As a freshman docent, you will be required to:
- Attend training twice a week, for eight weeks, beginning January 7
- Pay a $75 course fee
Once you’re a docent, you’ll be required to:
- Attend (almost) all weekly meetings on Thursday mornings.
- Pay an annual $50 fee.
- Become a member of Scottsdale Arts (minimum $50 level).
- Acquire a minimum of 12 credits through a combination of gallery engagement and committee work (approximately one shift per month).
- Have fun and share your passion for the arts with visitors, staff, and fellow docents.
Have other questions? Email us: Docents@ScottsdaleArts.org
Prospective Docent Coffee
To find out more about being a docent and becoming a docent at SMoCA, please come to the Prospective Docent Coffee on one of the following dates:October 15, 2019, from 10:00–11:00 a.m. in the Center Space inside Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts. December 4, 2019, from 10:00–11:00 a.m. in the SMoCA Lounge inside Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art
RSVP required: Docents@ScottsdaleArts.org
Current Docents Only
Sign up to give a tour.
Login to view exhibition documents and curatorial exhibition tour videos.