What is a SMoCA Docent?
Docents are guides, interpreters, and all those volunteers who:
• connect visitors with a range
of age, ability, and backgrounds to the beautiful and challenging collections
and exhibitions in art museums
• encourage young audiences to explore and discover, think independently, consider multiple perspectives, and express themselves creatively.
A SMoCA docent is a volunteer trained to facilitate learning at the Museum through engaging the public in our galleries. Our docents have a passion for contemporary art, are lifelong learners, and enjoy sharing their knowledge with others. They come from a variety of backgrounds and are storytellers, educators, customer service experts, arts advocates, and museum lovers. Docents complete a two-month “boot camp” training and commit to volunteering for at least two years (though many stay much longer).
Perks of Being a Docent
• In-depth training program on contemporary practices of art, museums, and museum education.
• Ongoing training opportunities, including exclusive tours with artists, curators, and other subject matter experts.
• The joy of sharing your love of contemporary art with children, students, families, teachers, and visitors to SMoCA.
• Lifelong friendship with other docents.
Video: Why I Like Being a Docent
This video features docents from SMoCA talking about their experiences. Being a docent is an exciting opportunity filled with learning, engagement, and community. For anyone who has a passion for the arts—and the willingness to learn new ways to engage and share with the public—this opportunity is for you. We welcome you to join our dynamic community of docents, and we are excited to meet you.
Produced by Starling Designz
Song: Markvard – Endless Love (Vlog No Copyright Music)
As a freshman docent, you will be required to:
- Attend training twice a week, for eight weeks
- Pay a $75 course fee
Once you’re a docent, you’ll be required to:
- Attend (almost) all weekly meetings on Thursday mornings.
- Pay an annual $50 fee.
- Become a member of Scottsdale Arts (minimum $50 level).
- Acquire a minimum of 12 credits through a combination of gallery engagement and committee work (approximately one shift per month).
- Have fun and share your passion for the arts with visitors, staff, and fellow docents.
Have other questions? Email us: Docents@ScottsdaleArts.org
Prospective Docent Coffee
Check back in 2021 for information about our next prospective docent coffee.
Current Docents Only
Pay yearly dues.
Sign up for a shift.
Login to view exhibition documents and curatorial exhibition tour videos.